Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Camelbak

Today we continue in the tradition of seemingly random thoughts from my mind in this blog, by discussing hydration systems. Or those water bags (called a bladder or reservoir) with a tube, things that you carry around in a backpack. Popularised by Camelbak Inc. , these things let you carry water around with you easily and encourages you to drink often while engaged in outdoor activities since you only have to sip on the tube instead of taking the water bottle out of your backpack, drink and then replace the bottle.

Its one of those, why didn't I think of it before things.

The US military likes these things so much, they're now standard issue instead of the old water bottle. Which is a good thing since they're hanging around hot climates a lot these days.



I've been using the 100oz or 3Lt Camelbak Unbottle,

which is basically a water bag with an insulated foam cover. I stick it into a my Osprey harness, fill it up with ice and water and I'm good to go for the whole day when I'm doing outdoor video shoots or hanging out at the islands. The ice and insulation keeps the water cool the whole day and its a lot easier than messing around with the Bubbakeg or various bottles of mineral water which get warm unless they're in a cooler.

I've found that having cool water to drink and sipping on it all day long helps me stand the heat and staves off dehydration when I'm in the sun all day. This is important when I'm directing an outdoor shoot and don't have the luxury of ducking under the shade all the time. I have to keep on reminding the crew to drink water.

Its very important to stay hydrated especially given the weather here, and we all know how hot it can get here in Sabah. I see plenty of people who don't drink enough water here indoors, let alone outdoors.

I used to think that having a camelbak was a luxury and quite unnecessary, now its one of those things I wonder how I did without.

About the only downside I can think of is cleaning these things. Its more effort to clean than a normal water bottle or bottled water (which you just throw away). I only put water in mine, so there's no sugary sticky stuff to clean out.

I just rinse it out, scrub the bladder and tube with a brush if I've left it out too long, then put in a liter of water and a baby bottle sterilising tablet. Let it sit for an hour or so, then drain and let it dry.

Most people I know are not particularly outdoor-sy, but if you are, you should really consider getting one. You'll drink more and feel better when you're outside. Stay away from the cheap stuff, because they leak. The good stuff costs more, but it lasts. If you're in KK, I know a place that sells them at reasonable prices.

No comments: