Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Islands in the sun

Or, 3 days of running around only in a sarong.

Hey all,

Just got back from a 3day/2night solo camping trip on Mamutik Island, just off the coast of KK. Nothing fancy, just a quick getaway and a personal retreat for some rest and personal time.

I brought along a 1 man tent, 5 gallons of water and a cooler with juice, milk, coke and ice. Yeah, its a camping trip, but a few luxuries won't hurt.







Here's the island, relative to KK.






Closeup of my campsite






View from the Jetty






My campsite!




Reverse view with KK in the background






On Saturday evening, I could hear thuder and see lighting in the distance over Papar on the mainland, I figure, that would be a good time to pitch the tent and button down for the evening.
The storm continued to move up the coast and eventually passed over KK. Quite a spectecular lightning show. Somehow the bulk of the storm missed the island which is amazing considering how close it was.

The next morning it started raining heavily at about 630am and continued through the morning. This is when i realised that my job of sealing the seams on the old tent was less than thorough. There were a few spots that i missed which resulted in about 3 leaky spots. I made use of a few plastic bags, towel and tshirt to take care of the drips and went back to sleep.

At about noon, the sun came out so I took the opportunity to dry out stuff and cook lunch.

I spent the next couple of days, vegging, sleeping, contemplating, staring at the coastline, and reading Romans 8 and Malachi 4. Not much else to do except for Bob the Biawak to keep me company.






Also found this interesting looking flower/weed.






I also decided to patch the tent fly with some duct tape to fix the leaks, which was a good idea since it rained heavily monday morning as well.

The boat was supposed to come get me at 5pm, but i decided to call it in early as I saw more rain clouds on the horizon, so I left the island at about 3pm.

5 comments:

Johanna said...

Hey Bob!

Hope you had a great personal retreat.

Um...I mean you, Eric.

Not Bob.

Ha!

Ariel said...

At least you had Bob the Biawak, not Wilson the Volleyball of Cast Away.

Fooman said...

Yeah, because unlike Wilson, Bob doesn't talk back.

deJelly said...

Is that Manukan island??
Or does all island in Sabah look alike..??hehhehee = D

So cool to have a camping trip like that!!

senorita said...

ariel, i was thinking of the same thing! ahahha!

but eric didnt come back a slim man like tom did in castaway :p